A typical East Coast gaff cutter yacht, 'Wendy May' was the fourth to be built to a Maurice Griffiths design; the first three being built at Harry King's Yard at Pin Mill on the River Orwell, Suffolk.
'Wendy May' has cruised extensively around the UK, France, Ireland and Holland.
'Wendy May' is a 25ft 6ins gaff cutter, designed by Maurice Griffiths and built in 1936 at the Williams & Parkinson boatyard in Deganwy, North Wales. She is 8ft 5ins on the beam, draws 4ft 3ins and with her Oregon pine bowsprit shipped is 32ft long. She has a waterline length of 23ft and is constructed of pitch pine on oak, copper fastened with marine ply decks, epoxy sheathed and professionally laid in 2000.
She has a cast iron ballast keel and internal pigs of lead ballast. 'Wendy May' was fitted with a Vetus 206 twin-cylinder 15 HP diesel engine in 1999. Below she has a sink with brass pump tap to port and a chart table to starboard, two settee berths with sitting headroom and about 6ft headroom beneath a central butterfly hatch. The saloon is also fitted with a Taylors 079/KB heater. Amidships to port behind a bulkhead is the galley consisting of a Taylors 028 two burner cooker. To starboard amidships is a head. In the focs’le are two further berths.
There is a 2010 survey which concludes: ‘Wendy May has been found to be a very good example of a yacht from the 1930s. The structure is in sound condition. Where restoration or replacement has been carried out, the work has been to a good standard.’
'Wendy May' has been sailed extensively to Brittany, round Britain and Ireland and across the North Sea to the Netherlands. She was described when launched as being ‘dry and well able to heave-to, with sitting headroom beneath wide side-decks and with bulwarks 9ins high. In short a hard-weather packet.’