'Severn' was built in Arnside in Cumbria in 1912 by William Crossfield & Sons. In 2018 she was bought by Arnside Sailing Club with the help of a Heritage Lottery grant to have an example of a Crossfield’s boat in the village.
Crossfields were the leading builders of Morecambe Bay Prawners. They also built yachts, rowing boats and dinghies, including Arthur Ransome’s 'Swallow' and 'Coch-y-bonddhu'. There were two boatyards operated by Crossfields in Arnside. Beach Walk on the shore ran by William where 'Severn' was built and Top Shop on Church Hill which was run by his younger brothers and then his nephews as Crossfield Brothers.
'Severn' is one of ten Rivers Class Yachts built by William Crossfield and Sons for the River Mersey Yacht Club. Six were built in 1912 with a further Four in 1914. If it was not for the First World War it is probable that more would have been built. Four other Rivers Class yachts are thought to be still in existence: 'Deva', 'Dart', 'Styx' (all on the OGA Register) and 'Esk'.
The River Class were used largely for evening racing with a season running from May to July, with regatta race in July. The boats were also raced in August at the Straits Regatta on Anglesey. They were raced for prize money. In 1914 prize money was £44 when the average wage was £67. The Royal Mersey Yacht Club was based in Rock Ferry, a then prosperous area of Birkenhead with large houses overlooking the river.
The design was based upon the Blackpool and Fleetwood Jewel Class. The boats were originally opened decked. They had a crew of three. The boats cost £50 each delivered afloat with a further £14.18s for the sails.
Original owners of Rivers Class boats included members of the Liverpool merchant elite, three silver medallists in the 1908 Olympics, one of whom was also a Rugby Union International and a British Lions manager. In 1925 the 17th Earl of Derby, who was Commodore of the Royal Mersey Yacht Club and Secretary of State for War 1916-18 and a leading racehorse breeder brought Ogwen, followed by 'Deva' in 1926. The Derby in the title refers to the West Derby area of Lancashire, which includes Liverpool rather than the city.
'Severn' is thought to have sunk in a Royal Mersey Race on 23 July 1914 just 11 days before the outbreak of World War One. She was probably the 'Elwy'. 'Elwy' was the joint winner of 1913 Rivers Class Series. In 1914 'Elwy' was sold to Commander Harvey Broadbent of HMS Conway a merchant navy officer training ship anchored off Rock Ferry and a stern disciplinarian.
In 1927 she was discovered on the bed of the River Mersey and raised to the surface by the Mersey Docks Board salvage boat “Salvor”. She was found to be in good condition and sold by the Receiver of Wrecks to Joe Wallace, aged 25 of New Brighton, a member of the West Cheshire Yacht Club for £25. Joe Wallace named the boat 'Severn'. It is thought that Joe Wallace did not keep her for very long, moving on to bigger yachts. 'Severn' is next recorded in 1939 winning a race at the West Cheshire Regatta.
By the early 1970s Severn was in North Wales. In 1972 Severn was advertised for sale by A.G.Taylor of Plas Mor, Borth y Gest, a village on a sheltered bay south of Portmadog in Wales overlooked by the hills of Snowdonia for £650. Severn was brought by Mr Gaynor of Leigh on Sea near Southend.
Mr Gaynor did not keep Severn for all that long, advertising her for sale for £1100 in 1976, Boat details include a cooker and tiolet. She was brought by Ken Tomlinson of Hockley, north of Southend. Around 1980 Severn featured in an article in the Longshoreman Magazine. Severn was kept at Paglesham on the Roach Estuary. In 1984.Ken Tomlinson advertised her for sale for £2000.
Jon Wainwright, owner of 'Deva', another Rivers Class yacht, mentions competing against 'Severn' in a race in 1986 on the River Blackwater in his book “Only so Many Tides”. 'Deva' beat 'Severn'. In 1987 Severn was recorded as been kept at Heybridge on the Blackwater Estuary near Maldon in an article about Styx another Rivers Class yacht.
Around 1999 'Severn' was moved to the River Medway in Kent. In 2013 after several years of neglect, she was taken back to Essex to the Roach Estuary north of Southend where she was restored over a two year period.
In 2018 she was bought by Arnside Sailing Club for £5500 funded by a Heritage Lottery grant and returned to the village where she was built. Moored in the Kent Estuary at Arnside, she lies at the top of Morecambe Bay in summer just 300 yards away from where she was built.
A Friends Group has been set up to maintain, fund and sail her.
crossfieldyachtsevern [at] gmail [dot] com (subject: Yacht%20Severn%20listed%20on%20the%20OGA%20website) (Contact the Friends by email) if you wish to join or support the group.